Wednesday, February 27, 2008
Franklin make a new friend the other weekend. Grommit is an English Mastiff who is one of the gentlest dogs I've ever known. Even though he outweighs Franklin by, oh, 170 pounds or so, Grommit got down on the floor to greet Franklin and let him have a few sniffs.
The funniest thing was that Grommit drools. A lot. Every time he put his head down to check Franklin out, the ween would end up covered in dog spit. Who needs a shower?
Speaking of showers, Franklin ended up in the shower with me a couple of nights ago. He was pissed. I figured that as long as he was in there, I might as well soap him up. Yeah, not the best idea I've ever had...
Tuesday, February 26, 2008
Thing is, I don't see the point of spending a lot for someone else's taste. Yes, there are plenty of beautiful houses out there, but everything I've seen would have to be changed to suit our taste, at least a little. It makes sense (in my mind) to buy something lower-priced and make the updates as we go (or, you know, pay someone to do it, but you know what I mean) to end up with a beautiful house that is perfect for us.
I know that idea goes against the "real estate as an investment" theory that many financial conservatives hold, but you know what? Fuck it. I want a house that is our space, just for us, that makes me happy to be in.
And now, what you've all been waiting for...fantasy realty volume 3!
7424 Carleton, 63130. Again with the no-fireplace, and it needs a lot of work, but this house could be a real gem. Also, it is priced reasonably enough that we could afford to fix it up pretty quickly. Hmph.
-I emailed the instructor to inquire about #11, learn to SCUBA dive. I have the $$ set aside for Jeremy and I to take the beginning course starting in April with the [MyCompany] Scubaneers. I have the form. The only thing left is to write the check and send in the form. Hopefully, we will be certified divers by the time we get to #43.
-I inadvertently accomplished #17 over the weekend. Jeremy and I went out to eat with the Maunes to Red, where I have never been, and I ordered, well, whatever I wanted. Go me!
-I put kate in charge of getting tickets to #47 - seeing the BodyWorks exhibit. This coming weekend is the last weekend of the exhibit, and they are having like a 63 hour marathon or something. Hopefully we will get to go.
-I talked with my brother to get advice on home project #60. I need to look in the storage space and see if we have a miter box - to get #61 done this week. That's my goal for the rest of this week. We'll see.
Monday, February 25, 2008
I have been stalking this house for MONTHS, I tell you. It is in U. City, north of Olive. I have actually been inside this house - I went to an estate sale there over the summer. The inside of this place is totally grotty and would need a total rehab - but I can't get over the rad windows and roof line. The inside actually has a decent amount of space. Also awesome is the full, clean basement. Lots of these atomic ranch houses were built on slabs. Great for California living, but not so much an option here in tornado country.
I've probably spent far too many minutes thinking about this house, but my rehab would involve taking out the wall between the kitchen and the dining/living area and opening up the whole space. We would need to have a fireplace added; being able to light things on fire is very dear to my husband.
I am really hoping that when the time comes for us to buy, we can find something in U. City. We might end up with a smaller house than we would have if we looked farther out, but that area has so many advantages. And - hello - single stream recycling! Duh!
Friday, February 22, 2008
Nope. He loved it. It made him sneeze, though.
We spent the rest of the evening keeping the dog away from our glasses and watching him try to figure out how to get liquored up.
*Um, not that we try and get the dog drunk every weekend or anything. Franklin has only tried the stuff twice in his life.
Wednesday, February 20, 2008
- Finish this list
- get up early and walk the dogs
- find a therapist
- talk to my doctor about switching medications
- ride the metrolink
- research getting my e-ring reset
- run a mile without stopping
- weigh less than I do now by 20 pounds
- ride a bike on the Katy trail
- take a long hike with my dogs in a place I've never been
- learn to SCUBA dive
- cook dinner at home every night for a week
- get up early and make muffins
- bake a loaf of yeast bread
- learn how to prepare fish
- cook Indian food
- Have dinner at a restaurant I've never been to - and order whatever I want
- plan a monthly menu
- develop standard shopping list
- Host a dinner party
- weed out unused craft supplies
- draw something awesome
- make Bobbi's quilt
- piece tree quilt
- finish bird quilt
- piece paper-pieced swirl quilt
- sew every night for a week
- take longarm quilting course
- successfully bind a quilt using mitred-corner bindings
- piece a denyse schmidt quilt
- Sew a piece of clothing for myself from a pattern
- Sew a corset
- make a denim skirt
- fix Zoe's pink sweater
- Fix Tootie's summer dress
- find a pair of boots that look good on me
- Get a massage
- get second tattoo
- put together outfits from existing clothing.
- discard clothing that doesn't work
- get a pair of pants tailored to fit me perfectly
- go shopping and buy an entire outfit at once
- take a sweet vacation with Jeremy
- Visit the southwest
- try camping again
- get season tickets to the MUNY
- See the BodyWorks3 Exhibit at the Science Center
- Plan a surprise for Jeremy
- take the GMAT test prep course
- take the GMAT exam
- research grad schools
- Apply to grad school
- spend an entire day at work without getting online for leisure.
- Take a LEAN course
- buy a house
- plant a garden
- buy an eames fiber glass rocking chair
- Do all the laundry and put it away. Have everything in the house clean at once
- purchase an accessory for a specific place in my house
- fix carpet issue in hallway
- install moulding in hallway
- hang a quilt up at home
- Do a spring(summer, fall) cleaning
- make my house smell good
- develop AT-inspired style tray
- sell microwave cart on craigslist
- wash and wax my car
- Blog about places I have lived
- figure out if I can post pictures from my cell phone directly to my blog
- figure out how to add a sidebar to my blog
- take photos and blog about places from my past
- get laptop to functional, useful status
- label my desk drawers
- get a power cord for my scanner
- learn Photoshop
- upgrade computer
- Go through files on computer and pull anything I can over to portable hard drive
- read camera manual
- take some good pictures of Rita Bean
- take some pictures of the dogs together
- take some studio pictures of Kate's dogs
- take a family picture of Boomer + Brett
- Spend a weekend day taking photos on location around town
- take pictures of the improved hallway
- take pictures of living room
- Take some self-portraits with good lighting
- update my avatar photos on websites that have them
- Get someone to take a few good pictures of me and Jeremy
- create some art from photos for home
- create some art from photos for TU
- Get FP website organized and running
- Fix Instaproofs site for photo ordering
- Design a logo for photo business
- add some quilts to my etsy shop
- scan 2-D Laura + Jeremy-abilia
- photograph 3-D Laura + Jeremy-abilia
- Make a photo book of Laura + Jeremy-abilia
- make Boomer's wedding album
- finish Jake + Meghan's DVD slideshow
- Ship J + M's wedding stuff
- find a cute pair of outfits for Rob's twins